A joint PwC and IT Governance Institute research paper, just released has perhaps a less enthusiastic opinion of IT’s contribution As explained by this figure 3 which form part of their finding to this question.”To what extent does your IT function inform the enterprise about potential business opportunities enabled by new technologies?” was:
One-third of the respondents relayed that their IT function does not inform the enterprise of new business
opportunities made possible by new technologies, or does so only to a limited extent.
Another third indicated that such communication occurs only to some extent. Only one-third of enterprises can count on their
IT department to provide this type of information—information that could create a competitive advantage. Implied in this is a call to action for IT management to better communicate and align IT’s capabilities to enhance business growth through innovation.
The study which may be very useful reflective reading to consider who drives IT is aimed at Executive Teams and IT professionals, and has 28 graphical figures with expanded findings under the embodied questioning elements.
- Contribution of IT to Delivery of Business Strategy.
- IT’s Contribution to Innovation, Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Frequency With Which IT Informs the Business on New Technologies
- Creation of Value From IT Investments
- Barriers Preventing Full Return on IT Investments
- Barriers Identified
- Perception of IT Performance.
- Accountable for IT Governance
- Key Champions for IT Governance.
- Accountability for IT Governance Activities..
- CIO as Member of Executive Team.
- Equality of CIO’s Views With Others on Executive Team..
- CIO Reporting
- Reason for CIO Absence From Executive Team
- Frequency of IT on Board Agenda ..
- IT Topics Discussed by Board
- Alignment of IT and Business Strategy..
- Methods of Aligning IT and Business Strategy..
- Sources of IT Governance Guidance
- Relationship of IT Governance to Enterprise Governance
- Perception of IT Governance Maturity ..
- Correlation Between IT Governance and IT Outcome
- Average IT Outcome Index..
- IT Importance and IT Governance Indices for Strategists and Operators
- IT Outcome for Strategists and Operators
- Impact of IT Importance and IT Governance on Outcome .
- Strategist and Operator Perceptions of IT Governance Maturity .
- Profiles and Behaviours of Strategists and Operators